Monday, February 21, 2011

Bashan

Bashan
459 N. Verdugo Road
Glendale, CA 91208 
818-541-1532
www.bashanrestaurant.com


I've read many reviews on Bashan, so it's been on my radar for quite some time. I was excited to hear that Chef Nadav Bashan used to be the sous chef at Providence where he worked with Chef Michael Cimarusti. My dining experience at Providence was nothing short of amazing, so I knew that Chef Bashan would not disappoint. 

Last Wednesday, I met up with my good friend Mia. I hadn't seen her in a long time, so I was excited to be able to catch up with her and indulge on some good food. I got to the Bashan a few minutes early so I went  inside to check out the place. The staff greeted me as I walked though the door, and they were very welcoming. The restaurant was very cozy and gave out such a good vibe. For a fine dining restaurant, it did't feel stuffy one bit. Since the restaurant was a little empty (it just opened) I got to choose any table I wanted, so I sat at a table near the window and waited for my friend to arrive. 

I quickly scanned the wine menu and settled on a glass of Chardonnay. It was very dry and crisp. You could smell the citrus and fruit accents. It was just what I needed after a long day at work. 




 2006 SlipStream, Chardonnay, Adelaide Hills, Australia




A few minutes later, Mia arrived and we agreed on treating ourselves to the Prix Fixe Menu. $40 for a 3 course meal is such a great deal. 



Prix Fixe Menu
Amuse bouche: Butternut squash soup, cinnamon paprika oil, toasted pepitas, and chives


**Here's a close up I found online**


Braised Pork Belly Asian Style


**Here's a close up I found online**
Hokkaido Scallops
Panna Cotta


**Here's a close up I found online**
The restaurant got pretty full by our second course, and yet the service was on point. You could tell that they really pay attention to details over there. Overall, I was very pleased with this dinner. The amuse bouche was a perfect start to our meal. All of the dishes were well executed and the flavors were spot on. Each dish had me craving for more and left me excited for what was to come.

Bashan is truly a hidden gem. I can't believe it's been open for nearly 3.5 years, and this is the first time  I've eaten here. In all honesty, I never would have thought that Glendale would have such a wonderful place, but I definitely will be returning again and again.

I can't wait to try their 5 course tasting menu. TO BE CONTINUED.... =)




No comments:

Post a Comment